The artifact I chose was a New York Times article from April 1970 about the first Earth Day and how it was celebrated in New York City. I found this fascinating in contrast to Company, which first opened on Broadway a mere four days later. Even though they live in New York City during the height of various social justice movements, most of the characters of Company are remarkably detached from their surroundings and current events. The one exception is Marta, who represents this youthful, vibrant spirit of the city, but she is seen as eccentric and an oddball. In one conversation with Marta, Bobby even admits he tends to make friends with people with social identifiers similar to his own, while Marta says everyone she meets in the city is her new best friend. There is a fear of the unfamiliar tinging the edges of Bobby’s world — unfamiliarity beyond simply the prospect of marriage. https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1970/04/23/issue.html

7 Replies to “Social Justice in 1970”

1. In response to this artifact, I looked at the 2018 Presidential Address made by President Trump on Earth Day. I think what you said about the characters living a detached life from their surroundings is true and is an observable trend in many elite groups and in this case, the well off New Yorkers who are most concerned with their social relationships. I think the artifact I have chosen is quite reflective of your observation because it also embodies that same type of selective ignorance. The address begins by stating that all Americans should take the environment seriously which is followed by President Trump stating, “for this reason, my Administration is dedicated to removing unnecessary and harmful regulations that restrain economic growth and make it more difficult for local communities to prosper…”– an immediate divergence from prioritizing the environment . This detachment from a figure who tends to represent the socialite is one that relates to your connection of the 1970 Earth Day and Company for this reason and it also reflects that the same dissonance exists in America today, where people dismiss the dangers of environmental concerns perhaps out of fear of its effects.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/presidential-message-earth-day-2018/