Test Post: An Ode to Redmond, WA

A picture of Redmond, WAI’ve been told all my life that I’m a minimalist, and although I find that to be a little extreme, it’s more or less true. So long as I’m well-fed, safe, and have comfy clothes, I am quite content. So, when I was told I would be relocating to Redmond for my internship, I didn’t give it any thought. I wanted to intern at Microsoft, it was in Redmond, so I was in Redmond.

Perhaps it was this lack of expectation that made the city so remarkable to me. Much like an infant marvels at the things an adult considers mundane, I was awestruck by Redmond’s beauty, efficiency, and cleanliness. I enjoyed being outside so much that I would take the hour-long walk from work to my room just to appreciate the city. Bikes crossed my path from time to time, but on these walks I was mostly alone and at peace, gazing at the mountains in the distance and listening to the chirps of the birds flying overhead.

Should I ever wish to experience something more exciting, I could rely on the public transportation system. The buses were punctual, clean, and rarely crowded. My internship allowed me a free bus pass, so I used it whenever I could. In my down time I travelled to the movies, apartments to meet friends for the fourth of July, and festivals throughout the summer. Once, I even went on a hike (despite my lack of physical preparedness for such a feat) so I could better enjoy the nature in the area. I loved being in Redmond, and I hope I get a chance to visit again!