Students

Joshua Kim

Project Description

My project is a Princeton themed cabinet that is designed to be an addition to the Princeton dorms. The cabinet serves to fix the lack of storage space for miscellaneous items in a normal dormitory room. The finished product measures 650mm by 750mm by 500mm (roughly 25.5 x 29.5 x 19.5 inches). The cabinet features two doors that reveals two shelves. The cabinet is made from plywood and stained in a vintage walnut color. The top of the cabinet features a carved Princeton shield logo. The project was inspired by my desire to get my hands dirty in the shop. I do not have much experience working with wood, so this project will allow me to explore my creativity and learn new skills.

Design Drawings

Fabrication Process

For guidance on the fabrication process, I looked online to find resources on a do-it-yourself cabinet. My main resource for assembling the cabinet was a YouTube channel titled “Fix This Build That”. Their video, which is titled “How to Build a Base Cabinet with Drawers | DIY Shop Storage” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRZJ6P4grQ), demonstrates the assembly process of a table-sized cabinet. While the cabinet in the instructional video is not the same one I built, the foundation and assembly method of the cabinet is adopted from Fix This Build That. For the Princeton shield carved into the top of the cabinet, I was certified last semester to handle the X-Carve machine.