Students

Alex Dickinson
Sociology, 2019

Project Description

I made a plaque that is meant to hang in a house, specifically in a bar-like area. Since it was made for me, I included a baseball design on it, as I played baseball my whole life and It was better aesthetically with a design under the words. It is roughly square in shape, 12 in x 12 in, with circular cutouts 1.5 in in radius on the corners. The wood is 1/2 in thick. The designs were made using the stenciling machine, which allowed them to be more detailed and led to the letters and design looking better.

Technical Background

The plaque was supposed to use the X-carve and have the designs that were stenciled on be inlays instead. However, the machine was broken, and that led to me stenciling instead. The X-carve makes designs out of plain boards of wood. It carves off layers of the wood, slowly making a design according to however deep one decides. In order to get the X-carve to make your design, you must make a design on Easel, a website that allows you to make designs and send them straight to the X-carve. You must specify how big the machine is, as well as the bit that is being used, and then the software makes the route that the X-carve will go on, and creates the design that you have specified.

Design Drawings

Fabrication Process

Final Result