Syllabus

Detailed contents of CEE262A and CEE262B.

A three part perspective is taken to study these structures: (1) the scientific examines the formulas which influence the form; (2) the social examines the societal context as well as the economy of construction; and (3) the symbolic reflects on the aesthetics and the cultural meaning.  The scientific aspect is learned through structural studies, which provide basic concepts of structural analysis through some structures studied in lectures.

The course is divided into two sections: CEE262A (LA distribution) emphasizes the social and symbolic, whereas CEE262B (SEL distribution) has a larger emphasis on the scientific.  Both CEE262A and CEE262B focus on structural engineering as a new art form begun during the Industrial Revolution and flourishing today in bridges, long-spanning vaults, and tall buildings.  Illustrations are taken from various cities and countries thus demonstrating the influence of culture on our built environment.

A video representation of the syllabus can be viewed with a Princeton net ID.

NOTE THAT CEE262A HAS NOT BEEN TAUGHT SINCE 2021 AND IT IS NOT PLANNED TO BE TAUGHT IN THE NEAR FUTURE

CEE262 Lecture Syllabus 2023

CEE262B Lab Syllabus 2023

The FULL syllabus contains policies and procedures and is:

1 – a contract between us that establishes the prerequisites, expectations, requirements, and policies

2 – a promise of the course, and how you can fulfill that promise (e.g. by completing assignments)

3 – a reference for logistical and administrative information

4 – a map of the curriculum

In addition to the learning objectives that I will go over with you in the first lecture, I want you to enjoy the process of learning,without undue stress/anxiety, and with a growth mindset.  Everyone has the capacity to succeed in this course and I will prepare you as best as I can to do so.  There are many students enrolled, therefore I must make clear the course policies and procedures for a fair and equitable experience for all. I must also be clear on expectations – hence the length of this document.