The rise of the Ottoman empire, 1301-1520
This map depicts the history of the Ottoman empire from about 1300 to 1520.
In addition to showing the approximate extent of the Ottoman state in about 1300, 1451 and 1512, the map also shows:
- the main routes of Ottoman advance
- the sites of major battles
- the conquests of Osma, Orkhan, Murad I, Bayezid
- the invasion route of Tamerlane in 1402
- vassal states
- Venetian territories in about 1510
- western frontiers of Safavid state, in about 1512, including tributary states
- the Ottoman sphere of influence in about 1520.
Copyright © Times Books 2007
Reproduced from The Times Complete History of the World by permission of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
All rights reserved
The Times Complete History of the World (2007), p. 156-7.