Cold War Conflicts and inset showing The Cuban Missile Crisis 1962
In the main map countries are color-keyed according to their involvement in Cold War conflicts.
- Countries in North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) (1949-)
- Countries in Warsaw Pact (1955-91)
- Non-aligned communist states 1987
- Country with nuclear capability by 1987
- Cruise and Pershing II missiles deployed in 1980s
- SS20 missiles deployed in 1980s
- Direct military action by USSR and/or allies
- Direct military action by USA and/or allies
- Economic and political intervention by USA and/or allies
- Iron Curtain
The inset map illustrates the conflict arising from the installation of Soviet missiles in Cuba.
- US-backed invasion force April 1961
- Soviet ships
- US naval blockade
- US naval base
- Soviet missile base
- US military build-up
Brief explanations of these events are also provided.
The map additionally includes a chronology of Cold War world conflicts in which the US, the Soviet Union and their respective allies where involved.
Oxford Atlas of World History, Oxford University Press, 2002. General Editor Patrick K. O’Brien.
Chapter 5. The Twentieth Century: “The Cold War 1947-91,” page 245.
Map copyright © Philip’s, a division of Octopus Publishing Ltd. Source: Philip’s Atlas of World History.
Used under license from Octopus Publishing Group.
This map is one in a series:
This map is one in a series of maps selected from the Oxford Atlas of World History.
A gallery using flyover images like this