I came across this ad for a book in searching through 1970 wedding announcements in the NYT archives. I found it particularly funny and fitting to our discussion of marriage in Company.  Something that stuck out to me in Olson’s “Company- 25 years later” was that the scene involving marijuana somewhat dates the show. Not much in the text makes it 1970s specific, which is why it has been able to be revived and reimagined, but this married couple smoking pot was more taboo at the time than it would be now. I’m not sure I completely agree, however, because the image of middle-aged, middle-class white parents smoking pot is still not a common one. Even though its legalization is upon us, I’d be pretty jarred to see those parents or even my parents in that situation. The question still remains, how can that scene be modernized and does it need to be modernized?

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1970/06/23/issue.html

NYT June 23 1970, Page 40 bottom right-hand corner

One Reply to “Marijuana and Marriage in 1970”

1. Hi Gabriela!

I also noted that part of Olson’s analysis as I wasn’t quite in agreement. Like you said, marijuana use is more prevalent and accepted but certainly not to the point where it’s dated to see middle-aged white parents feeling slightly rebellious for smoking it. Some states have yet to legalize marijuana for medical purposes and few have legalized it for recreational use. I still found that scene to be realistic in modern day context and think it could potentially be played off as an attempt to further de-stigmatize marijuana and increase acceptance of its use.

As I researched the analogous artifact to “An Intimate Report on 208 Adult, Middle-Class Users”, I started thinking about the arguments against marijuana use and how those too could be highlighted through the same scene under different director interpretation. I came across a NY Times op-ed (link below) about a “middle-aged house dad addicted to pot.” He briefly mentions the effects of his addiction on his family life — being high at major births and deaths of family members. I’m wondering if the scene could be also be used to take the opposite stance and comment on the dangers or seriousness of a potentially growing problem with marijuana use in middle-age populations and its effects on family life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/opinion/sunday/marijuana-addiction.html