Summer 2010 German REACH Fellows

Kai Oberste-Ufer Kai Oberste-Ufer
University of Bochum
Bochum, Germany
To make it short: The two month internship at the Princeton University was a very valuable and inspiring experience - both from a personal as well as from a professional perspective. As a civil engineer, I was very impressed seeing the professional scientific environment provided to young researchers from all over the world. The Keller Center's REACH Program gave me the wonderful opportunity to work together with Prof. Glisic in an multidiscipline NEES Project on earthquake engineering and Optical Fiber Sensor Systems. This has broaden significantly my scientific horizon in my field of engineering. Also it was a great experience to see the academic life at one of the most recognized university in the world. During my internship I could get into contact to people from all over the world and I discovered a kind of hospitality that is outstanding and more than the normal.

Fabian Unterumsberger
Fabian Unterumsberger

University of Bochum
Bochum, Germany

During 8 weeks in the summer of 2010 I lived and worked at Princeton University as a visiting student research collaborator (VSRC) under the supervision of Dr. Nan Yao. The characterization  of the mechanical and electrical properties of Nickel and PZT nanowires was the main research topic. I had the pleasure to work with several graduate and undergraduate students, exchanging ideas and results with different parts of this project. Also the discussions with Dr. Yao as with Jerry Poirier (research staff) showed me how research is done at Princeton. This experience was amazing and helped me to see the research and results of my Ph.D. project in Germany from another point of view. Further, the contact with students on other summer programs as REU at Princeton was an easy way to make new friends and spend the free time with culture, tourism and some sport. Finally I would like to recommend the Princeton Senzala Capoeira Group, with mestre Zumbi, (http://www.princeton.edu/~capoeira/ ) as a workout activity and a way to get in touch with real Princetonians. To get around campus I recommend renting a bike from the Princeton Ubike project.

Philipp Mertmann Philipp Mertmann
University of Bochum
Bochum, Germany

Working with Prof. Panagiotopoulos' group for the eight weeks in Princeton was a great experience for me and very productive and instructive. Everyone was nice and made me feel welcome. Since I work in the electrical engineering department in Germany, it was nice to see that pretty similar approaches can be used in chemical engineering as well. The chances are that I will use parts of this work in my PhD thesis, which was not my intention from the very first. Additionally, we plan to write a paper about our results, which is fantastic for such a short period of time. I am really happy that I had this great opportunity the Keller Center gave me.