Assignment Resources

Classroom Experience Reflection Form
Due 11:59pm the night before break-out group

For Literature Deconstructions and Reflections:

Due Tuesdays at 8:30 am.

How to Read a Scientific Paper

This guide can help you interpret the research papers that we will read and with your lit deconstructions and reflections.  Lit-Deconstruction-Form – Reflection can be submitted to our Google Drive Assignments folder.

For the 300 word reflection piece, you can consider the following:

• Discuss how the issues or arguments presented in the reading relate to your experience as a student, educator, or in another leadership role. Use specific examples.
  • Discuss new teaching method(s) or technique(s) this reading mentions or inspires. Examine how you would use those in your own learning and/or future teaching experiences.
  • What questions do you have after reading this and how might you go about addressing them

One Thought on “Assignment Resources

1. vjimenez on July 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm said:

The arguments presented in Smith’s reading relate to my experience as a student, educator, and in other leadership roles given that communication/dialogue plays a crucial component in each of them. As a student, I often engage in small group discussions with my peers in order to discuss the reading or material of the class. I found that these small group discussions enhance my understanding of the content in some way. I learned to see things through various perspectives and I also have gotten the opportunity to vocalize what I think I have learned. As an educator, I realized that communicating the information or content in an effective can be very challenging. Using small group discussions, as a method of teaching, can be useful for maintaining the students actively engaged in their education. Instead of lecturing students and feeding out loads of information all at once, having the students engage in conversation with their peers can really help the students understand the material in-depth. In other leadership roles, I found myself often in small group situations. As a leader, I found myself having to improve my skills as a facilitator in the conversation, especially when we were in the process of planning events. In my opinion, the title of ‘leader’ does not entitle one to being the last and only voice in the decision-making process. Every member of the group or community should be given an equal say. The ‘leader’ simply ensures that the conversation or process goes as smoothly as possible. A new teaching technique that this reading mentioned was the use of isomorphic questions in order to gain a better sense of whether the students actually grasped a good understanding of the material or not. I intend to use this technique while teaching POL 245 because I think in order to really understand coding and data analysis, you need to be able to use several methods and apply them to different situations. Some questions that I have after this reading: As an educator, how would you be able to test whether or not the discussions held in the various small groups successfully communicated the course material?